Meridies Arts and Sciences
Welcome to the Arts and Sciences home page for the Kingdom of Meridies!
These pages include information that will be helpful to local officers, entrants, and the populace in general. There is some repetition and cross-referencing in order to ease the fact finding process.
Greetings to the good gentles of Meridies from Mistress Dametta. Announcing our second Stella Nova Arts and Sciences Faire, December 4, 5, 6, 2015 at Magna Faire!
1. What is the Stella Nova Arts and Sciences Faire? This faire is geared towards novices who haven't entered many A & S faires and are interested in learning more about the process. What is unique about this faire? By having sponsors to help guide and mentor you, the mystery can be taken out of the process of creating, documenting, and entering arts and sciences faire entries. Every entrant will receive a gift from a sponsor (not their own sponsor.) There will be two Grand Prizes, one is the Queen's Prize, the other is a Judges' Prize. The Members of the Order of the Laurel will be sponsoring (and mentoring) up to five entrants in the faire. Laurels and members of the Order of the Velvet Owl (or out of Kingdom equivalent) will act as judges. This second Stella Nova Faire will be held at Magna Faire December 4, 5 and 6, 2015, hosted by the Barony of Iron Mountain instead of the traditional Regional Faire. Iron Mountain will hold its traditional Open, Magna Faire that day as well. The event will be at the WOW site in Royal, Alabama. Registration for entrants, sponsors, and judges will open September 1, 2015 and close November 14, 2015.
2. Who can enter the Stella Nova Faire? Anyone who is new to entering Kingdom or Regional A & S would be considered a novice for this faire.
3. I don't know if I would be considered a 'novice' for this faire. Who is a novice? As a general rule, if you have entered 4 or less Kingdom A & S or Regional Faires in the last 10 years. The sponsors should be able to answer this for you, but if there are any questions you can ask the Kingdom Minister of Arts and Sciences, Mistress Dametta of Arundel or ask any of the laurels of Meridies.
4. How do I find a sponsor? First, ask around with any local Laurels or your local A & S officer. If they are unable to help you, contact Mistress Dametta. There are Laurels who have volunteered to sponsor entrants they may not even know! We are able to match up sponsors with entrants. Don't let this be the thing that stops you!
5. I don't know how to put together a project, from research on up. How do I do that? This is another thing your sponsor should be able to help you with. You don't have to do something complex or groundbreaking, just nice, solid work. Your sponsor should be able to help you find research, and learn how to use it most effectively.
6. I am worried about documentation. How do I do that? Your sponsor should help you with this, but we are asking that for this faire you use the guided documentation forms found here.
7. I don't know what the judges are looking for in an entry. How do I learn? Again, your sponsor should help with this, but you can also look at judging forms to prepare you for the kinds of things judges are looking for. They are found here.
8. Can groups enter? Can I have a group entry and a single entry? You are allowed ONE single entry and ONE entry as part of a group. The group should all be novices as described above. If you need any other questions answered, please contact Mistress Dametta at firstname.lastname@example.org or find me on facebook and message me (Deborah Chism-Rackard). There is also a Stella Nova facebook group that you may join to find out updated information and talk with others about the event.
Kingdom Minister of Arts & Sciences
This is the recognized web site for Kingdom of Meridies Arts and Sciences of the Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc. and is maintained by Brighid of Ferncliff. This site may contain electronic versions of the group's governing documents. Any discrepancies between the electronic version of any information on this site and the printed version that is available from the originating office will be decided in favor of the printed version. For information on using photographs, articles, or artwork from this web site, please contact the Webminister at email@example.com. He or she will assist you in contacting the original creator of the piece. Please respect the legal rights of our contributors. Content copyright © 2014 Kingdom of Meridies Arts and Sciences. The original contributors retain the copyright of certain portions of this site. All external links are not part of the Kingdom of Meridies Arts and Sciences web site. Inclusion of a page or site here is neither implicit nor explicit endorsement of the site. Further, SCA, Inc. is not responsible for content outside of artsandsciences.meridies.org/.
Kingdom A&S Officer:
Mistress Dametta of Arundel